Bed-Load Transportmeter - Type Arnhem
The bed-load transportmeter, type Arnhem is a sampler, used to measure bed-load of coarse sand and fine gravel in rivers and in other watercourses.
- Bed transport meter frame has a stabilising tail fin
- Used for measuring bed-load of coarse sand and fine gravel
- Mouth permits water and fines to flow through
- Mouth shaped to keep initial water speed
The bed-load transportmeter, type Arnhem is a streamlined sampler mounted in a frame. It consists of a mouth followed by a basket of fine wire meshing (width of the mesh is 300 μm). It is used to obtain samples of sediments and gravel rolling along the river bed.
The sharp decrease of the velocity in the wide sampling chambers causes the sediment material to settle there. The mouth allows water and fine particles to pass through and is shaped to maintain the initial water velocity. A tail fin mounted on the frame keeps the sampler in up-stream direction.
The results of the measurements are influenced by the shape of the bed (ridges, dunes, flat beds, etc.). For a successful measurement knowledge of the relief of the bed is essential. The sampler can be discharged on board using the sample trough.
- Sediment transport research
- Bed transport meter frame with stabilising tail fin
- Sample trough