Rhizon Soil Moisture Sampling Set
The complete Rhizon soil moisture sampler system supplies a range of miniature soil moisture samplers. The Rhizon samplers are used for repeated and reliable sampling of all dissolved components in the soil solution.
- Unique sampler made of porous plastic material (PES)
- Pot, cylinder, and column research
- Minimal disturbance of hydraulic properties of the soil
- Low dead volume < 0.5 millilitres
- Minimal ion exchange capacity (less than soil)
This unique sampler is made of porous plastic material (PES) and has standard 0.15-micron pores. The sampler is reinforced with wire and dissolved organic and inorganic matter will not be absorbed on the soil moisture sampler. A horizontal placement in moist soil is preferred. Water acts as a lubricant during inserting. Due to the minimal disturbance the soil will quickly settle, resulting in a good sampler-soil contact. Optional is co-extruded tubing (PE inside / PVC outside) 1 millimetre internal diameter, Luer-connectors and protective caps. This sampler type has a length of 9 centimetres and a diameter of 4.5 millimetres. For installation at greater depths, a standard sampler with PVC extension pipe can be used.
This set is ideal for studies on undisturbed soil columns and pots with plants, the standard Rhizon soil moisture samplers can be inserted through the wall. A sample is obtained by placing the sampler under vacuum, by using a vacuum tube or a syringe. During sampling, the pH value of the soil is not affected. The standard set can be extended with various accessories.
- Please check the applicability for the type of analysis
- Large organic poly-molecules/colloids are retained and that the plastic membrane may cause some sorption on organic substances
The Rhizon soil moisture samplers are available in various designs:
- For inserting in pots during filling, the Rhizon soil moisture sampler type FLEX with nylon strengthening wire is available.
- For sampling metals, a special Rhizon soil moisture sampler type MOM is available, with a length of 10 centimetres and a diameter of 2.5 millimetres, with glass fiber reinforced strengthening wire and 10 centimetres co-extruded tubing.
- Type MOM and type SMS (with stainless steel strengthening wire) are designed for sampling in undisturbed soil cylinders (core samples) or in pots with growing plants.
- Environmental research
- The Rhizon soil moisture samplers are very suitable for pot-, cylinder- and column research
- Macro Rhizons for field research
- Rhizon samplers are used when several soil solution samples are needed of the same soil volume in research of:
- Plant uptake of soluble nutrients as nitrate
- Solubility of metals in soil
- Transport of soluble components in soil
- Accumulation of salts, etc
- Rhizon soil moisture samplers, type MOM, with a length of 10 centimetres (complete with PVC/PE tubing, connectors and protective caps, 10 pieces)
- Set needles with protective caps (10 pieces)
- Set of glass vacuum tubes with a 9 millilitres contents (10 pieces)
The standard set can be extended with various accessories such as:
- Short Rhizon soil moisture samplers (5 centimetres porous material)
- Syringes (to be used instead of vacuum tubes) connectors for connecting the syringes (including spacers for blocking the syringes)
- PE extension tube (black)
- Silicone connecting tubing to connect the extension tubing to the soil moisture samplers
- The Macro Rhizon soil moisture sampler is especially suited for use in the field